Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mweya Safari



Today we had to wake up at five fifteen to drive to Mweya for our safari. Five fifteen is REALLY EARLY. I was planning on resting during the drive but I ended up talking to the headmaster from Kigarama. Even though I didn’t get to rest, I started to have more energy later in the morning. We drove across the equator and stopped to take pictures. When we got into Queen Elizabeth National Park we started to see a lot of animals, like warthogs, Uganda cobs, antelope and a lot of birds. After we drove through the park for a while, we pulled over at a lake where salt was mined. There, the teachers switched vans with us so that we had the one where the top lifted up so we could stand up and look out. I was standing next to Charles, the student from Rweetera, and as we were driving, he pointed out this bird with a bright blue head. He told me it was called a goose, and I have to say I was really jealous because this bird was so much cooler than the geese at home. When we got within sight of the lake that our boat would be going out on, he pointed out some elephants on the opposite shore, which I loved, since elephants were what I was really looking forward to seeing. After we got on the boat, Alice and I went up to the top of the boat so we could see everything better. As the boat was going, we saw hippos, water buffalos, crocodiles, and more elephants, really close up. I got some really good pictures of elephants. We passed a small fishing village and then came to the Congo border, where we turned around and went back to the dock. We went to lunch at the lodge, which was amazing. I had a salad and the best veggie stir-fry noodles ever. After lunch we ordered ice cream and fruit salad, and then got back into the vans to drive back to MUBFS. Like last night, I had a lot of energy in the evening. We had a fun night, but not as much fun as the dance party with all of the kids last night. After dinner we stayed in the dining hall and hung out with everyone for a while, then we said goodbye to Ian, Elizabeth and Dr. Wrangham since it’s their last night. They’ve all been really great during our trip. After that, we went up to our room and got ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment