Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Kigarama and St. Maria Goretti

Last night we had to decide whether to sleep in and go to Fort Portal all morning, or go with the teachers to Kigarama and help them teach their lessons before going to Fort Portal. We decided to go with the teachers, and I’m so happy about that decision. I went to the P1 class with Ms. Hunt and the kids are the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen. They were so excited but so polite and well-behaved. I held the book while Ms. Hunt read about buttons in Rutooro. After reading the book, we taught a Rutooro counting song about buttons that Ms. Hunt wrote. Hearing the kids sing that song was wonderful, but my favorite was when they sang a lullaby for us. After the singing, we helped the kids make button necklaces and then we got to pass out the dolls made the Weston community, which was my favorite part of the day. The kids were so happy, and they were smiling so much. Some of them started cradling their dolls and playing with them, and nothing in recent memory has made me so happy. After assisting the teachers, we left for Fort Portal. Since we knew most places we wanted to go, I got all of my important shopping done. I got presents for everyone I needed presents for, and some necklaces and a bag for myself. For lunch, we sat outside and ate our peanut butter sandwiches and ordered fries. We then left for St. Maria Goretti. I had expected it to be a little awkward, since we would be interrupting exams, but it was actually really fun. We all separated and went with different groups of students. I went with the S1 girls, and they asked me a lot about America, and they sang some of their favorite songs and tried to teach me the words and the dances. They also asked me to sing, but I just sang lullabies, so it was pretty easy. Then their entire class all showed me around the school. They wanted to show me their rats, which made me really nervous, but it turns out that they were just guinea pigs. They showed me how to play net ball and raced me around the field. After they showed me around it was time to leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment